Start spreading the news…
I’ve been in NYC during every season except Christmas time. Needless to say Rockefellar tree, ice skating, Rockettes Christmas Specktacular, Sacs Light show, I wanted it all. So when I had vacation time to use, we decided to take our first trip together to NYC since I know my way around. Unfortunately, a week before our trip we had to adjust and reschedule our flight so we could attend a funeral. We also had to adjust to a rain soaked Sunday. But we still packed the weekend and checked some things off of our bucket list!
Saturday – The must do NYC staples.
You HAVE to see a show while in NYC. I don’t care if it’s a comedy show, off broadway, or on broadway… go see a show. This time, we saw Kinky Boots and let me tell you this show did not disappoint! We then took the opportunity after the show to do some NYC staples.
- Times Square
- Rockefeller tree
- Sacs Fifth Ave Light Show
Sunday Rain check…It rained ALL DAY.
Sunday was our only full day in the city so we had big plans. But when the rain came rolling in, we needed to make some decisions.
- Brunch with Madelyn
- American Museum of Natural History
- Williamsburg hangz – bring on the Chipotle and “What do you Meme”
Mondays are for photoshoots
Brooklyn Bridge – We got there at 7:40 a.m. to try to avoid people. This has been a bucket list item forever and I am so damn jazzed about these pics. Cheers to the best instaboyfriend there ever was. Don’t worry! We shot some pics for his blog too. Check it out!
Washington Square Park – When I lived in NYC I spent a lot of time here so it was important for me to snag some pictures here. Of course, I had to include the best series of photos that happened from this trip while getting dive bombed by pigeons. This photo sequences is one of my all time favorites.
Color Factory – This was one of the highlights of our trip. Jake and I both loved how interactive and fun this was! I would add this to my “must do” list in NYC.
Can’t forget the outfit staple…the POM. Of course I packed a bunch for our trip. You can get yours on my Etsy page HERE.
Our favorite vegan eats:
I am not vegan but Jake is, so when wandering around NYC we needed to find places that were vegan friendly but also delicious. Check out his blog for more on how he traveled for the first time as a vegan!
Things you don’t know you’ll need when heading to NYC:
- Dr. Schollz shoe inserts. These saved my feet when my dogs were barking.
- Blister bandaids. I don’t travel anywhere without these anymore.
- Small travel umbrella because you just never know.
- Dramamine – Between flights and uber drives, I get super motion sick. I love traveling with this stuff just in case.
- Venmo – I thought this was a “duh” but apparently Jake didn’t get the memo. It’s so helpful especially when you’re trying to keep things equal.
Things I learned traveling for the first time with Jake
- I’m an asshole in the morning before coffee. (Sorry babe.)
- Express your frustrations and your excitement and talk them out.
- Ask if he’s hungry every hour and pack snacks.
- I love traveling with an Eagle Scout. He packs like a tetris master and quickly adapts to his surroundings so we ALWAYS knew where we were between the two of us.
- His patience balances me when I am unnecessarily anxious and frustrated. Thank god.