Let me just spit some facts and figures at you for a minute because today, like everyday, we could use a reminder to be conscious of our footprint.
- It takes 1,800 gallons of water to make one pair of jeans according to Penn State.
- Billions of dollars in unsold merchandise is incinerated or destroyed by brands every year to maintain brand exclusivity.
- The average American throws away 80 pounds of clothing per year per person. Of those, nearly 100% are recyclable.
- According to Recycle Nation – 28 Billion pounds of textiles are piled into landfills each year.
- Fashion is the second most polluting industry in the world.
We have a problem that we’re all guilty of and we can all take small steps to do better. Will you join me?
Buy less: Fast fashion tells us to hop on trends that are gone in the blink of an eye. We buy more, wear it once, then buy more and more and more.
Buy smart: Choose retailers who recycle unused clothing, not burn or destroy it. Now listen, I’m not here to throw brands under the bus but do your research before you buy that’s all I’m sayin.
Donate: Recycle your unwanted clothes by donating them. DON’T throw them away. Someone can use them or they can be recycled.
Rent: Companies like Rent the Runway are changing the game with fashion. You mean I can rent clothes and return them so someone else can do the same? Sign me up.
Shop secondhand: I am biased because I am a stone cold thrifter. But the benefits of thrifting go beyond saving a buck. Don’t want to go to your local thrift store? Guess what, you can shop second hand online (Poshmark, ThredUp, Relovv, Depop). No human interaction required.